Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Louis Reyes Rivera Memorial Play


We remember Louis Reyes Rivera as a great poet and teacher who influenced many.



We last appeared on his WBAI poetry program and were interviewed for two hours.



It was a great interview on my poetry and poetics. 

For many years Louis held his writing 
workshop and poetry venues at Sistas Place in Brooklyn. We love you and miss you, Louis Reyes Rivera, RIP!--Dr. M




A Crowe Flyz Productions present a dramatic staged reading of a new full-length play The Workshop written and produced by Alice T. Crowe, October 26, 2012 at 7:00 p.m. and October 28, 2012 at 5:00 p.m. at the Great Room South Oxford Space, 138 South Oxford Street, Brooklyn New York. Arthur W. French III is the director.   Mr. French is the facilitator of Fusion Gumbo Writer’s Workshop.
The Sunday show is a Tribute to the Late Louis Reyes Rivera. Before his death, Rivera had just finalized a 150-page epic poem Jazz in Jail. A portion of the proceeds of the event will go toward assisting in publishing Jazz in Jail.
The Workshop is a moving play about a frustrated raging poet who struggles to discover his voice among a group of wanna be writers in a writer's workshop. He meets his political opposite and struggles to win her over and stay true to his muse while making his art relevant in the Age of Obama.
The Workshop is a hilariously, satirical commentary about the African American experience. Set in an artsy artist's café for the urban literati, the Workshop participants challenge the notion that black culture is monolithic and explores how the contradictions of politics, race and gender impact romantic relationships. The artists struggle with the challenges of making their art relevant in the age of a black president. Should black art change now that we have a black president?
Suggested donation is $15 adults at the door, $12 seniors/students. For more information call (845) 358-7617.Brownpapertickets.com. There will be a wine and jazz reception before the shows.
   

The author writes:

I have been greatly moved by the pearls of wisdom and guidance I received as a member of the Louis Reyes Rivera Writer’s Workshop. Louis’s passing had an enormous impact on me and my desire to bring to life some of my writing that has been tucked away in three red milk crates in my home. Louis is gone much too soon. Having struggled with a way to grieve and honor Louis’s memory, I can only come to one conclusion. I must write and move forward on some of the work that best reflects what I’ve learned while a student in his workshop. 
I am producing a play that I wrote called “The Workshop.” I wrote the play as a student in several writing workshops, but I feel that this play captures the essence of my experience as a writer and social commentator.

                                                                                            #      #     #

No comments:

Post a Comment