Monday, November 6, 2017

Parable of Marvin X Party

Monday, November 6, 2017


Marvin X party time

Kweli Tutashinda You are so right. Better party- it will be over before you know it. Black communists and radicals of the 20’s, 30’s, and 40's had more balance in their lives than we would expect....

 Party party party!
Amiri and Maya
 Revolution ain't nothin' but a party! Black Power Party!
]
 Marvin X and his revolutionary partners Emory Douglas, Don Lacy and Attorney John Burris, "Marvin X says some wild things!"

Party for Amiri Baraka's 75th b day, dancers Rasheedah Sabreen, Linda Johnson,
Raynetta Rayzette, Val Serrant, San Francico Jazz Heritage Center
photo Kamau Amen Ra (RIP)


The party of my life was with the Barakas, party party party, party at the house, party at the bar, party coast to coast, party all night long, party!


Had to call Sonia in the middle of the night to help me party with the Barakas, cool them out. Sonia took Amtrak in the middle of the night to help me party with the Barakas.



Marvin X sporting Borsalino fedora--"I came from classic Black men--you'll never catch me in a baseball cap!-- Nigguh, please!"
photo Kamau Amen Ra (RIP)






Mom and Dad, Owendell Jackmon I and Marian Murrill Jackmon
getting married in Reno, Nevada. Parents published the Fresno Voice, a 
Black Newspaper during the 40s. Parents were influenced by Marcus Garvey.
Oakland Post Publisher Paul Cobb recalls Mr. Jackmon attending meetings at 
his grandfather's house, who was a Garveyite.

Mom and Dad at San Francisco Peace Conference establishing the United Nations, 1945

Marvin Ellis Jackmon, aka Marvin X, born writer, May 29, 1944. He didn't know but his siblings knew he was Mom's special child. Mom told him he didn't need a wife but a maid, scretary and mistress. After several failed marriages, Marvin X has concluded his Mom was right!

Father said he was so smart he outsmarted himself, should have been a billionaire! Marvin X entered Oakland's Merritt College as a business major but soon turned to sociology, especially after meeting fellow classmates Huey Newton and Bobby Seale. These days, Marvin X says he's on the other side of time (Sun Ra teachings) and money (a good name is better than gold). He started the Movement Newspaper with no money; produces extravagant events with no budget. People asked him how he produced the Kings and Queens of Black Consciousness Concert at San Francisco State University, 2001, with no money; how did he get such participants as Dr. Cornel West, Mrs and Mr. Amiri Baraka, Askia Toure, Ishmael Reed, Destiny Muhammad, Tarika Lewis, Rudi Mwongozi, Dr. Theophile Obenga, Drs. Nathan and Julia Hare, Rev. Cecil Williams, Rev. Andriette Earle, et al.?
Marvin X replied, "I used a device called telephone!


Marvin X's son Darrell/Abdul (RIP), Father Owendell Jackmon I (RIP), son Marvin K and Marvin X.

Marvin K and his son Jordan who has twin sister, Jazmin. Marvin K tried out for the San Francisco 49ers. Became a computer programmer. 

Jordan, Marvin K and Jazmin

Wife Maryann and Marvin K. Jackmon

Marvin X with grandchildren Jahmeel and Naeemah. Marvin told his daughter, "While I wrote in my poem Education of Jahmeel/Surah Al Fatihah, that Jahmeel was my son come again, I must confess Jahmeel is his own man, for sure, my son never dressed as clean as Jahmeel in this pic. Still, Jahmeel is close to my heart since his b day, May 31, is two days after mine. I know his genius and his potential for madness! And Naeemah, Virgo, is close to my heart as well, since several women in my life were/are Virgo, thus I know Naeemah's potential for greatness. One morning she was on her way to childcare. When I stopped her to play her brother's keyboard, she gave me a jazz improvisation and continued until she said, Grandpa, I got to go to school!' She has that Virgo hard work ethic. And she revealed it again selling my paper at the Berkeley Flea Market when she made over $40.00 in donations once she repeated my selling mantra: ask for a generous donation!"


Parable of Marvin X Party

At 73, I party every day and every night. Everything I do is a party: party when I'm writing, party when I teach on the street. The street is a serious party: gotta be aware of your surroundings and don't get caught napping cause the street got banana peelings fa dat ass! But party!

 "A party can be part of a nation!"--Huey P. Newton to Marvin X


Even revolution ain't nothin' but a party: one party's over, a new party takes over! Somebody said, eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow you shall die! Let's go out with a bang (bam bam, one two punch) not a whimper! Party.

Can't party wit nobody, party wit ya self. Writing is a party, a labor of love and joy at self expression and sharing with the universe. Attorney John Burris says that boy says some wild things! James Sweeney says he's the most free black man in non-free America. In terms of modernist and innovative, Dennis Leroy Moore says he's centuries ahead of anybody I know!



Party. Mama said I used to play alone for hours and hours and I remember playing alone with those toy soldiers, General Ike was my hero! Imagine this! Born 1944, just before they dropped the bomb on Japan, then the dispossession of Palestinians 1948, I remember them crossing the bridge into Jordan, running for their lives,  then Korean War, then Vietnam, then Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Somalia, Libya, et al., ad infinitum. War, what is it good for, eternal war, for generals, arms merchants, corporations who sell to both sides, war!

I party alone, writing is a solitary affair, can't have nobody lookin ova ma shoulder, censoring me if I write something they don't like. Ain't that kinna party up in here! One partner said I was recalcitrant and incorrigible cause I wouldn't follow her agenda. How I'm gonna follow yo agenda and you don't know where you going? I ain't fishing in the dark. I see clearly now. Ali said at his best, Marvin X is clarity of perception! As they say in Houston, Texas, better AX somebody! Daughter say, how you still alive, Daddy? Cause I can out think my enemies! You got to out think them and out live them, then you have the last word. He who laughs last laughs the longest! Party! I live in the no stress zone. My name is Jess, I ain't in dis mess! Better AX somebody!

Sun Ra said all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, and Jack has become very very dull! My work is my play. I'm having the time of my life, in the fourth quarter, ain't nothing left but Hail Mary!
Love God, love family and love your work. If your work ain't a party, you need another job. Whatever you, don't have no boss. The Communists laughed at me when I came into their bookstore asking for the boss. They said boss, we ain't got no boss, we killed the boss, that's what the revolution was about. Excuse the hell outta me!



Praise your Lord and party. Sami Allahu liman hamida, rabbana laka al hamd. fa salli li rabbika! Pray when you go out and pray when you come in. Inna salati wa nusuki wa mah yahya wa ma mahti li lahhi rabbi l alamin.
--Marvin X/El Muhajir
11/6/17




1 comment:

  1. It is a honor to know , study and be a part of the BAM! Thank you My BaBa!

    ReplyDelete