Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Parable of the Mecca and Al Madina


Marvin X at Laney College, Oakland Ca
photo Alicia Mayo


I flee Holy City Mecca
like Prophet Muhammad Ibn Abdullah
Like Elijah Muhammad for seven years
running from the haters of every stripe
money grubbers dogmatists polytheists
Al Madina my refuge in the Valley
wherein love flows in gardens of scented water
Unlike Mecca, Al Madina does not charge the thirsty hungry
There is plenty in the Valley of Al Madina
Chorus of birds sing loudly happy
like the people who dwell in the valley

Autumn leaves begin to fall
I swim in the cold pool
water warm in the shade
I want to stay in Al Madina
Eternity is my wish
but Mecca is the battleground
I must return to the zone
after my respite
Al Madina arms of love spread wide
country love simple true
They do not care to hear
Mecca stress strife wicked city life
Autumn leaves come after vines cut
Thompsons Muscat
Orchards soon come oranges limons
Almonds Walnuts Pistachio feed world
highways divide orchards
housing developments consume land
No matter traffic jams
Al Madina is Al Madina
farmers know love
Honor Mother Nature
Not like Meccans
care nothing for land
tradesmen and women
trade routes their joy
charge pilgrims for kissing Black Stone
commerce prosperity in religion their joy
Let me rest Al Madina
then return for the fight
truth vs. lies
there is no peace
truth shall never let lies
win the day.
--Marvin X
10/22/19

No comments:

Post a Comment