Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Prayers for SF Mayor London Breed

On the eve of the inauguration of SF Mayor London Breed, Third Baptist Church, officiated by Rev Amos Brown, hosted an interfaith prayer service Monday evening, January 6, 2020. Sun Reporter Newspaper Publisher Ameila Ashley Ward suggested I attend in my new role as political columnist. Amelia wanted me to get familiar with politics in the City of St. Francis. I sat next to her and her son Kevin, with my two grandsons, James and Jameel covering my back.  Amelia introduced me to the sister who heads the Human Rights Commission, the brother who is State representative of the NAACP, PUC Chief Harlen Kelly and his wife Neomi. Amelia didn't know my baby brother Tommy and Harlen grew up together in Fresno and are best friends. Nor did she know my neice Sheena Johnson is Harlen's chief assistant. Rev Amos Brown opened the service and brought on the featured speaker, the dynamic spirit filled Dr Frederick D Haynes,III, of Dallas, Texas. On a previous occasion, after hearing Dr. Haynes preach, I told Amelia, "If I hear him preach one more time, he might make me a Christian!"

Tonight, I was enraptured by his sermonette for Mayor London Breed, mixing the rap lyrics of Nippsy Hustle and the Book of Isaiah. He described Mayor London Breed as one who descended from the slave ships but refused to allow the waves to consume her. All she need do is stay under the guidance of her Spiritual GPS. He called forth Mayor London Breed who said repeatedly she could not believe she was indeed the Mayor of San Francisco, one of most beautiful cities in the world. She acknowledged the awesome task before her to uplift the downtrodden of her city. She noted that on her frequent visits to the Tenderloin ghetto, she runs into people she grew up with in the projects of the Fillmore District.
She knows it is her job to help the less fortunate, to be a role model for all the girls in the hood who think they are doomed to a life of nothingness and dread. She knows her opposition is substantial: only one of the eleven Supervisors was present this night. She called upon those present for support and prayers, especially the interfaith community. She thanked them for assisting with the homeless, mentally ill and drug addicted.
--MARVIN X
1/6/20

No comments:

Post a Comment