Friday, July 16, 2021

BAM F E S T 2021 Video part 4 Off the Record: Marvin X in Concert at the Black Repertory Group Theatre Berkeley


Poet-Playwright Marvin X, Co-Founder of the Black Arts Movement, performs
in Berkeley at the Black Repertory Group Theatre with his favorite artists, including 
percussionists Master Tacuma King and Kele Nitoto, Violinist Tarika Lewis, Destiny Muhammad, Harpist of the Hood and Raynetta Rayzetta, Marvin's beloved choreographer and dancer (RIP). "No one interpreted my poetry better than Raynetta. She choreographed movement for my every word. What more can a poet ask a dancer to do? Thank you Raynetta for listening to my words and translating them into dance movements. I cannot believe you are no longer with me to interpret my poetry. I feel lost without you, although I appreciate all the choreographers and dancers before and after you, Raymond Sawyer, Suzzeste Celeste, Jamilah Hunter, et al. 

I give special thanks to the percussionists, Master Tacuma King and his student Kele Nitoto.  I was humbled and honored when Tacuma King informed me he understood his role to complement me, not drown me out as some musicians seek to do when they have no appreciation of the spoken word and pursue egotism and narcissism, thus they care nothing for the sacred words.  

Of Violinist Tarika Lewis and Harpist Destiny Muhammad, they sooth the wild beast in my poetry with their healing string music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment