Friday, September 10, 2021

The Black Arts Movement Theatre and Marvin X's Moby Dick, Nadar Ali, and 9/11/1973

 


Marvin X and his "fish" Nadar Ali, Director of Imports for the Nation of Islam.

"When Marvin X recruited me into the Nation of Islam, he changed my whole life and that of my family.
The Muslims wanted me because I was an educator, the first black teacher at a high school on the white side of town in Fresno.  Because Marvin 'fished me' into the NOI, I was able to travel the world doing business for the Most Honorable Elijah Muhammad."

On 9/11/1973, Nadar Ali was on the balcony of his hotel room near the presidential palace when the coup went down in Chile, directed by the USAs Kissinger, Inc. President Allende was removed and the brutal regime of General Pinochet was installed, leading to the murder of thousands and the disappearance of untold numbers of people.

Although in shock, Nadar continued to Peru to sign a contract to Import Whiting fish for the NOI.

FYI, Nadar wasn't the only "fish" Marvin X caught for the NOI. Marcel was the biggest pimp in Fresno and was a friend of Marvin's. In the late 60s Marvin came to Fresno and produced Dutchman by LeRoi Jones/Amiri Baraka. In the Black Arts Theatre, in contrast to the minstrel tradition of whites in black face, BAM actors donned white makeup to portray white characters, so Lula, the white woman in Dutchman, was portrayed by Marvin's partner and co-founder of Black Arts West Theatre, San Francisco, Ethna X, aka Hurriyah Asar. But Marvin needed a wig for Ethna so he asked Marcel if he could borrow one of his white ho's wigs. Marcel said yes as long as he would return it. Marcel made the great mistake of attending the production at Fresno State University or nearby. FYI, Nadar Ali was in the production as a passenger on the subway. When Marcel saw the Lula stab the black man, Clay, it flipped his good pimping mind. He told Marvin later, "Man, when that white woman stabbed that nigga, I thought about myself being in a motel room with one of my white ho's and she stabbed me. Who could I call? If I called the police, they would say, 'Nigga, let me speak to the ho and tell the ho to push the knife in further!' And I couldn't call my people because they didn't give a fuck about me pimping white ho's, and definitely not black ho's. So who could I call? Nobody!" 

FYI, Marcel threw in his pimping towel and joined the Nation of Islam, eventually made his hajj to Mecca and became an imam. RIP. Allahu Akhbar! 


Left to Right: Nisa Ra, former wife of Marvin X and mother of their daughter Muhammida El Muhajir; Sister Zoharah and Ethna X, aka Hurriyah Asar, former partner of Marvin X and Cofounder of Black Arts West Theatre, San Francisco, 1966.

Don't tell me about the power of the revolutionary Black Arts Theatre. If a motherfucka ain't running out your theatre butt naked, you doing some weak ass punk bitch shit! You better ax somebody. If them black bourgeoisie niggas is sittin' there with their suits and ties still on at the end of the play, your shit wasn't shit but some Miller Lite white folks pleasin' bullshit. Alas, it might be dog shit. They say the more you try to clean dog shit the more it stinks!
--El Muhajir/Marvin X
9/10/21





No comments:

Post a Comment