Friday, July 1, 2016

Andrew Hill, Black Arts West Theatre , San Francisco, Fillmore, 1966


Marvin X on Andrew Hill, Black Arts Movement Black Classic Music pianist

When Andrew Hill  performed at Black Arts West Theatre, San Francisco, 1966, Fillmore District, I thought he was the most far out pianist I'd ever heard. I mean, really, he was out out and beyond out, although I'd yet heard Sun Ra or even Monk in person, although I had listened to Monk and found him a fellow traveler in my soul. For sure, I loved Monk's After Midnight and wrote a poem on his demise:  

Round Midnight

Monk's gone

but I ain't blue

Monk's gone

but I ain't blue

where he's goin

I'm goin' too

Love is always around

tryin' ta steal life

Love is always around

tryin' ta steal life

If it don't get the husband

It'll get the wife

Monk's gone

but I ain't blue.

Where he's goin'

I'm goin' too.

--Marvin X

7/1/16 revised

But I never forgot Andrew Hill performane at BAW,  a concert beyond the beyond and we love you Andrew for blessing Black Arts West Theatre, San Francisco, 1966, with your message of far out love and kindness. Andrew, we went with you when you journeyed to outter space and would later join Sun Ra and John Gilmore, et. al. Andrew, you took us to places we feared to travel and when we got there we loved you for taking us there, along with Sun Ra, John Gilmore, Danny Thompson, Marshall Allen, et al. When we got to Harlem 1968, we connected with your fellow travelers, drummer Milford Graves, so radical he was banned from playing downtown in jazz clubs. Milford, a one man army like ourselves, so bad he invented a drum machine to heal diseased hearts with various drum beats. After all, Sun Ra taught us it's all about vibration. "Marvin, armies march to music, didn't you know?"


Andrews music was mind vibration, healing music for sick souls caught in the toxicity of the wilderness of North Ameruca.  Andrew, dare to take us there, dare to go beyond the beyond no matter the transformation of brain cells and heart beats, take us there to the healing station on the cross and lynching tree as Rev. Cone taught us (see his interview with Bill Moyers, PBS).

No comments:

Post a Comment