Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Marvin X in the Light Concert, Tour date #1, Black Repertory Group Theatre, Berkeley, CA, Sept. 30, 2017

;

Tuesday, October 10, 2017


Harvey Weinstein and the Mythology of Pussy and Dick by Marvin X











The matter of sexual improprieties transcends patriarchal culture, race and gender into pure power relationships between human beings. Yes, sexual improprieties are pervasive in the arts, academia, the corporate workplace, in all religions and every other social institution and/or environment. As per Hollywood and the casting couch, let us be honest, Hollywood is not the only villain, but all the arts: even in the Black Arts Movement, and alas, in the Black Liberation Movement, such sexual improprieties were pervasive, and I repeat, in academia as well, including Black studies, along with all other academic studies.When I taught English at a certain university and a student complained to my dean, and after I denied all charges, the dean made me agree to have sexual encounters with grad students only, leave the freshman girls alone. She noted that I had been under surveillance and was observed in a restaurant having dinner with the freshman student who complained about my sexual behavior as an instructor.

As a writer, director, producer, actor and lecturer and visiting professor in academia, I took full advantage of my position saturated in male privilege. If Harvey Weinstein is guilty, let me be hyperbolic: so is every man. As I examine global patriarchal culture, I conclude men are predators, women are prey. In war, we know men are expendable and disposable but women are booty or spoils of war.

But as I said at the outset, sexual domination transcends gender. We have known gay men in theatre who demanded sexual liberties with young gay actors or said in classical language, demanded the young brothers join them on the casting couch. And don't think for a moment lesbian women in the arts do not take full advantage of their power positions as per young females, demanding sexual improprieties for career advancement. Of course this madness goes on in the corporate workplace.
The American South has a sordid history of black women performing sexual acts to keep their jobs, alas, with full knowledge of their husbands! As they say in Houston, Texas, "You better AX somebody!" And not to put this madness on the "Dirty South," years ago Jet Magazine (the Negro Bible), revealed a great percentage of Black women confessed to having sex with the boss on the job!
This entire matter is about power and privilege, not gender, although in the majority global patriarchal culture, men are the villains, though other genders are on the rise. Again, this is a global pandemic that encompasses all religions, no matter Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Yoruba, Hindu, et al. Certainly, we must note the pedophilia in the Catholic church, Muslim madrassas, Yoruba manhood training rites, etc. It is well known America allows Afghanistan soldiers to have sexual relations with young boys as a cultural rite.
And it well known 30% of USA soldiers are victims of rape, alas, male and female! I asked a former female member of the US Army, why and how was she violated since she was armed when she was raped, she replied, "We are not trained to retaliate!"
So the Mythology of Pussy and Dick continues and no solution is in sight as long as the patriarchal culture dominates, and again, it is quite doubtful the matriarchal culture will deconstruct this abomination. Alas, did not Hillary Clinton, socalled champion of women's rights, defend her husband's sexual improprieties and try to destroy the women he debased? So much for the feminine mystique!

Without the total destruction of mythological religiosity in all spiritual institutions, along with the deconstruction of white supremacy capitalism and its newborn babe globalism that transcends racism, pathological sexual relations shall persist! There is a light at the end of the tunnel: women will soon be able to drive in Saudi Arabia!
--Marvin X/El Muhajir
10/10/17


m
Testimony, a Love Song
Man

I remember when I met you, woman

The feeling has never left me

What is the magic of you, what is the mystery

Every day, you are there,
In my hair
In my skin

I hear you blowing in the wind
Woman

I remember when I first me you, man

You were strong then

Your hair was neat

Your fingernails were clean and cut

Your skin was glowing

Your ears were clean

You were confident, secure

Your voice was strong and commanding

I was proud to meet you

Had heard of you, heard your name

Knew you were a man of truth

You know I did everything to please you

Spoiled you, worshipped you above God
That was my sin

If the years have taught me anything

You are very much human

Sometimes less than human

When you beat me

Sometimes more than human

When you made love to me.
Man

I have learned to listen to you, woman

You been right many times

When I was wrong

You knew what to do from the beginning

I didn’t but pretended I did

You begged me for years

Do right, nigguh, do right
What did I say
Shut up, bitch!

And kicked your ass

Only a fool would hurt a flower

Only a fool would destroy a rose.
Woman

If you love me so much

Why you treat me like you do

If you love me so much

Why you treat me like you do?
Man

I make no excuses
Word is bond

If you cannot believe my words
We have no bond

I will keep trying til my words are truth
I went blind

No longer saw God

No longer cared for Him

Lost faith in myself, most of all
But look

The Spirit of God is upon me!
Woman

You act like the same nigguh to me

You don’t respect me as a woman

You don’t respect me as a human

It’s your way or no way

True, you haven’t beat me lately

But you act like you will
If I oppose you

Who can live like this?

I refuse to live in fear
I refuse

If you can’t make me feel secure

I will find someone else who can

If you cannot make me feel at peace

I will find someone else who can

If you cannot treat me with respect

I will find someone else who can!
Man
I understand
And I submit
To truth
I submit
To God.
Woman

I’m going to see, man

You’ve told me millions of words
I will see

I want to believe you, but it’s hard

I want to trust you
But it’s hard

You’ve lied so much

You’ve done such terrible things to me

You’re the worse person I know

What else is wrong with you?

You’re too aggressive

You’re too extreme

You drink too much

You fuck too much

You cuss too much

You shout too much!
Man

Why you let me love you again and again

If I’m so terrible
King Kong

I want to take you serious
But sometimes

You are full of hot air and gibberish!
Woman
You’re right

There is some good in you

We have good times together
Sometimes

You’re really a good person

But you always negate the good

With some terrible stuff

Sometimes you make me nervous

Sometimes I can’t relax with you

Sometimes I don’t’ feel safe and secure with you

Get yourself together

Don’t blow up every minute

I’m trying to control myself

I’m not perfect either

I have my faults

You know them better than anyone

I’m working on myself

Work on yourself

Take care of your business

And come at me right!

Where is your faith in Allah

You profess to the world

Keep your word, demonstrate your word
By your actions

And I’ll be your friend forever

I’ll be your very best friend.
--Marvin X
from Selected Poems and the play In the Name of Love, Laney College Theatre, 1981

No comments:

Post a Comment