Monday, November 5, 2018

Marvin X new poems: Ignut Nigga and other poems

 Harlem New York reception for Marvin X at the home of poet Rashidah Ishmaili, 2014. Marvin X was in NYC to speak at the New York University memorial for poets Jayne Cortez and Amiri Baraka.

Maestro Marvin X with the Black Arts Movement Poets Choir and Arkestra, including David Murray, Earle Davis, Val Serrat, et al., Malcolm X Jazz/Art Festival, Oakland CA
photo Adam Turner/Gene Hazzard


Talkin' Ignut poem




Would you prefer a black Communist or black Capitalist regime
Black Muslim
Super Sunni
Iranian Shia
Saudi Arabian Israeli ISIS
Yoruba
Hebrew
Voodoo
Hoodoo 
Doodoo
Gay lesbian trans
Jesus saves Saviours
Social Democratic Republican gangsta
Scientology Farrakhan
Back to Egypt back to the moon
Back to back
Wakanda multicultural
Me too him too
Ho's tricks too
Priests boys too
Women dogs too
What a wonderful world
Can't we all just
Have some Pizza
--MARVIN X
11/5/18

Can I hear some black music 

Can I hear some Black music
Not fusion Miller Lite
Mexican soul music
Mi corazon
Black music
Not white hippie hip hop
Black jazz 
Coltrane Billie Bessie
Blues
Cotton field blues
Cane field
Rice blues 
Chicago pain
Urban blues
Fillmore Street 7th Street Oakland Blues
Hammond B 3 Blues supreme
Jimmy Smith
Earl Father Hines jazz blues
Josephine Baker Slim Jenkin's blues
John Singer Pullman Porter Union Hall Blues
No water down blues
Give me national anthem 
Lift every voice and sing blues.
--MARVIN X
11/5/28

Love Letter to Ann Williams

Ann
can you believe a nigger can love you for fifty years
in silence
from 1962 til now
your black beauty was supreme then and now
your intelligence
quiet character in the midst of madmen supreme
your partner turned out to be the maddest of all
Beyond Donald/Khalid
beyond Huey, Bobby
Ken Freeman, Isaac Moore, Ernie Allen, Maurice Dawson Judy Juanity
Ann
I won't call his name because he honored me
first to recognize me as writer
introduced me to Huey Newton

you were cool through it all
black velvet beauty
sustained years of terror death betrayal 
jealousy envy
Was it your West Oakland spirit
like mine
codified in Harlem of the West
Defermery Park
McClymonds
New Century
Lincoln Theatre
John Singer's Pool Hall/Bar
upstairs
C.L. Dellums  and the Pullman Porters Union
Nephew Ron Dellums
sometimes we can't come close to elders
we try we try
I thought I was better than my father
what a fool
people told me I sounded like my father
Thought I was a Garveyite Black nationalist
on my own
Paul Cobb told me my dad used to attend Garvey meetings
at his grandfather's house in West Oakland
Ann 
cool quiet woman
called upon to listen
Donald Warden ranted on and on in your ear on telephone
He loved your quiet black beauty
unsurpassed unequal
even today
last days of Babylon
you are here
standing tall
royal african beauty and intelligence
queen of the bay
quiet storm
I love you 
just know that
warrior woman
West Oakland Queen
Ann Williams
Better  ax somebody!
--Marvin X
11/5/18

No comments:

Post a Comment