Monday, June 14, 2021

Parable of Three Year Olds

On one occasion, Naima said, "Grandfather, when you gonna put me on the cover of your newspaper?"

Grandfather answered her with the above issue of his newspaper, she's in bottom center pic, on her first day to kindergarten . Her brother Jahmeel is on the left. His grandfather asked who dressed him so "clean"? The "Prophet" who's going to save the world said, "I dressed myself!" Young man on the right is a Moorish Science devotee, follower of Noble Drew Ali. His siblings are in the upper center of pic.

photo Adam Turner


The X Family at Dr. Cornel West and Marvin X's Conversation, Geoffrey's Inner Circle, Oakland, December 6, 2019. Left to Right: front, granddaughter Naima, Marvin X,  grandson Jahmeel, niece  Sheena Johnson: back row, daughter, Attorney Amira Jackmon, sister Debra Jackmon, grandson James Rhodes.

photo Adam Turner



Dr. Cornel West embracing daughters of Marvin X,

Nefertiti and Amira at Kings and Queens of Black Consciousness Concert,

San Francisco State University, April 1, 2001

A Marvin X Production

photo Kamau Amen Ra, RIP




Marvin X and grandchildren after his concert at Black Repertory Group Theatre, Berkeley

Jahmeel and Naima

photo Adam Turner



Left to Right: Marvin X, Jahmeel, Director Stanley Nelson, Amira and daughter Naima at Berkeley screening of Nelson's documentary film Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution. Marvin X made a brief appearance. When Marvin X asked his grandson "Prophet" Jahmeel what he thought about the film, he said, "It was too much violence." Indeed it was between the black community and pigs, FBI, National Guard, CIA that is ongoing as we write in 2021. Does Black Lives Matter or Black Power Matter? Isn't it a shame our grandchildren may need to resolve the matter?




Marvin X's grandson James Rhodes embracing Grand Diva of the Black Arts Movement, Sonia Sanchez at her home in Philly. James accompanied his grandfather on his east coast tour from Duke University up north to Philly, Newark, Brooklyn and Harlem.


The X men left to right, bottom, grandson Jahmeel; back Marvin K, son, Marvin X, Jordan, grandson
 
Parable of Three Year Olds


Marvin X grandchildren: Left to right Naima, Mahadevi and Jahmeel, in Philly PA



The X Family in Los Angeles for B Day party for Mahadevi

Her mother Muhammida El Muhajir, flew in from Ghana, picked up her daughter in Philly and gave her a b day party at a dance studio in Los Angeles. Mahadivi is on front row, far right with sucker, mother behind her. We must say without training, Mahadevi excelled in the dance class with her pure energy and determination. We heard Beyonce had the same energy as a child, couldn't stop singing. 


I love three year old babies only. That's when they can talk. I have concluded babies are pure genius at three. Yes, they have absorbed their Mother tongue, but their genius minds have not been polluted by society, religiosity and most importantly, public education. The three year old says the most wonderful things from a mystery land beyond parent's imagination. Please tell me from what source did my grandson tell me at three, "Grandfather, you can't save the world but I can!" Firstly, I want to know how did he know I was trying to save the world?" Secondly, I want to know how he figured he could save the world?" What was the source of his wisdom, his most convincing conclusion that I couldn't save the world and that he could? No matter, his three year old prophetic announcement not only astonished me but relieved me of great stress. Imagine the task of one who thinks he can save the world!
Imagine the hubris, narcissism. Imagine how relieved to hear my grandson's pronouncement. I felt like Sisyphus except I was able to pass the rock to my grandson who accepted it with such self-confidence. I knew he was of my DNA because I knew I was one who dwelled in supreme self-confidence, still his utterance completely floored me as we walked from my Academy of Da Corner, 14th and Broadway, downtown Oakland, to Lake Merritt so he could feed the ducks. 

He is fifteen now, feeling his manhood. Told me on his 15th b day, he knows he is no longer a child. He is confident and assured of his advance into manhood. I am elated the baby is no more, a man child has arrived. Yet I am sad to say I miss my three-year old prophet that I have no heard from since. I have heard him spout the wisdom of his father and mother, the schools and computer games. 

He does not know I have a challenge for him as per manhood rites. I want him to go into the jungle, bring back the lion on his back. Build the house without nails for his wife. Sleep with her without ejaculation until child is wanted. (See Jomo Kenyatta's ethnography Facing Mt. Kenya).

Yes, my three year old grandson is no more. He walks slowly, hair growing into locks. He has been around the world like no child born into Blackness, with a mother and father conscious and free. Even his baby sister is a monster, yes, she too at three. Coming home from a play, she said to me, "Grandfather, can you come to my house and talk to me on the couch for about 30 minutes?" How could I deny this request? I was shocked as when my grandson said I couldn't save the world but he could. I can't recall conversation with my granddaughter except I know it happened as per her request. How could I deny the profundity of a three-year old with wisdom and decorum transcending me?

Mahadevi at three, spoke French and Mandarin, could read and spell English. In the car with her mother, I said, "S.H.I.T.," my daughter said, "Dad, she know what you said, she can spell." At three at the Chinese restaurant in Berkeley, Devi played with the Chinese children, talking Mandarin to their utter shock. She rocked me planning her b day party. She said, "G-pa, I'm going to have a kitty cat party, no dogs can come!" I said, "Granddaughter, why can't dogs come?" She said, "G-pa. their poop is too big!"
--Marvin X
6/14/21

No comments:

Post a Comment