Sunday, February 10, 2013

French PhD Student Wants to know about Dr. Nathan Hare's Black Body

From: Nicolas Martin-Breteau


Subject: History PhD & Dr Nathan Hare

To: jmarvinx@yahoo.com

Date: Saturday, February 9, 2013, 7:42 PM


Dear Sir,

My name is Nicolas Martin-Breteau. I am a French doctoral candidate in African American history at the Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales (EHESS) in Paris, France. I study the role of sport and the body in the "long" civil rights movement in Washington, D.C., and Baltimore, from the 1890s to the 1960s. I hope to defend my Ph.D. dissertation in late 2013.

I am very much interested in Dr. Nathan Hare's life when he was a young sociology professor at Howard University. For one thing, I discuss his book The Black Anglo-Saxons. Besides, I would like to understand why he was so much involved in sport. According to his biography on wikipedia, Dr. Hare "briefly resumed his own aborted professional boxing efforts" in 1967. Dr. Hare's experience in boxing and his acquaintance with Muhammad Ali (without mentioning the fact that he might have had Stokely Carmichael as student) are fascinating subjects for my thesis.

Dr. Hare's life could help me answer this question: How did Black Power activists envision the role of the black body in the revolution aimed at transforming black Americans and American society? Did they depart from the traditional view of a respectable and decent body radiating with "character" as it had been taught to black youth since the end of the 19th century? Has sport had a special place in the Black Power movement of the 1960s? These topics are hardly studied by historians, except when it comes to the 1968 salute of Smith and Carlos in Mexico, two athletes from San Jose State under the guidance of sociology professor Harry Edwards. I think that much has to be done on the topic of sport and the body as political weapons in the black struggle for equality and freedom in the 1960s.

I have seen that Nathan and Julia Hare's archives are to be donated (http://blackbirdpressnews.blogspot.fr/2013/01/the-hare-papers-offered-for-acquisition.html). I would like to know whether Dr. Hare has already given his personal papers to an archive repository, and if he would like to talk to me about his life. I would be honored to engage in a conversation with him. If you are unable to answer directly to my question, could you please give me Dr. Hare's email address in order me to send him a message?

Thank you very much for your time and help. I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Sincerely,

Nicolas Martin-Breteau







U.S. History Doctoral Candidate, CENA, EHESS, Paris

http://www.ehess.fr/cena/membres/martin-breteau.html

https://twitter.com/NMartinBreteau











ReplyReply AllMove...CommentsCreateSpaceDraftsHip HopSent Messages

No comments:

Post a Comment