Sunday, May 26, 2013

Howard University wants the Hare's Archives!







From: 
Dr. Greg Carr, Chair, Afro American Studies
Howard University, Washington DC

To: 
Marvin X, Agent, Community Archives Project
Oakland CA

Good Morning Brother Marvin:

Given Brother Hare's centrality in founding the field of Black Studies--and the specific debt that Howard and HBCUs owe the Hares in that and related regards--I can explore the possibility that we can provide a home for the archive. I would like to begin with a space in Afro American Studies, the department that Dr. Hare is most immediately responsible for helping initiate at Howard.  I will begin looking into possibilities immediately.  Let's talk soon.

Best,
Greg
2159006297

Dr. Nathan Hare on Howard University acquiring the Hare papers:


It’s touching, and would be poetic. Beyond the poetry, they did give Stokely Carmichael a Ph.D., though as I recall it was posthumous, but it was a start. I don’t know what they would have in  terms of financial might, especially, starting with the Department of Afroamerican Studies. I guess they could hook up with the Moreland Room of the University’s library. The Department of Sociology might add a penny.  You’re the poet. I’m a natural born sociologist, a tribe historically accused of worrying too much.

Nathan

No comments:

Post a Comment