Friday, March 21, 2014

The Next Mayor of Newark, NJ: Ras Baraka, vote May 13, 2014



Ras Baraka Speaks:

I thank God with everything I have that I was raised by Amina and Amiri Baraka. Im even more grateful that my mother introduced me to the life of Paul Robeson, as we share a common birthday. I began to understand at an early age what it meant to be on the right side of history.


I knew that our culture, our art, our ideas, our institutions, our politics, our voice must be designed to push us forward and to stand in the gap! To create beauty and expose ugly to protect our communities and defend our families. I understood that no matter what they said about you, did to you, or organize against you you had to stay steadfast. Right will always be triumphant. Most importantly I am so grateful that I got to see what a free man looked like! How he wrote and sung and spoke..what he read and listened to...and by the grace of God I dont have to do things against my will. I don't bow to money or position. I can support who I want and vote the way I want. I can speak the way I want and believe in what gives me life and not death....


No comments:

Post a Comment