Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Black Bird Press News & Review: The Meaning of BAM, The Black Arts Movement

Black Bird Press News & Review: The Meaning of BAM, The Black Arts MovementKim,

Somehow I just received your emailed request with me inadvertently at the head of the “TO” line, presumably because it happened to follow a message I had recently sent you. I’ll give the matter some thought and may send a comment later, as I am presently much too humbled by Marvin’s brief but apt  manifesto of the Black Arts Movement I only stumbled into in a small way with the publication of my “Black Anglo Saxons” – and that according to Kalamu ya Salaam (Cf. his “Historical Overview to the Black Arts Movement” in The Oxford Companion to African-American Literature). But more than that, I’m afraid my vision is so blurred and bifurcated the Black Arts Movement momentarily reminds me of a blackened picture of Dorian Gray, with our liberation movement long on ice but continuing to decay. Which I suppose is why these erstwhile and illustrious black arts pioneers are poised to answer your call to converge at the University of California’s Merced campus and paint a Portrait of BAM.

Later,
Nathan (Dr. Nathan Hare, The Black Think Tank, SF, Father of Black Studies)



No comments:

Post a Comment