|Died||December 8th, 1986|
Philadelphia, United States
|Region||Sri Lanka, United States|
- This article describes the Sufism philosopher, for the Sri Lankan architect see Geoffrey Bawa.
Public career in the United States
Titles and honorifics
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Bawa Muhaiyaddeen|
- "The prayers you perform, the duties you do, the charity and love you give is equal to just one drop. But if you use that one drop, continue to do your duty, and keep digging within, then the spring of Allah's grace and His qualities will flow in abundance."
- "People with wisdom know that it is important to correct their own mistakes, while people without wisdom find it necessary to point out the mistakes of others. People with strong faith know that it is important to clear their own hearts, while those with unsteady faith seek to find fault in the hearts and prayers of others. This becomes a habit in their lives. But those who pray to Allah with faith, determination, and certitude know that the most important thing in life is to surrender their hearts to Allah."
- "The things that change are not our real life. Within us there is another body, another beauty. It belongs to that ray of light which never changes. We must discover how to mingle with it and become one with that unchanging thing. We must realize and understand this treasure of truth. That is why we have come to the world."
- "My love you, my children. Very few people will accept the medicine of wisdom. The mind refuses wisdom. But if you do agree to accept it, you will receive the grace, and when you receive that grace, you will have good qualities. When you acquire good qualities, you will know true love, and when you accept love, you will see the light. When you accept the light, you will see the resplendence, and when you accept that resplendence, the wealth of the three worlds will be complete within you. With this completeness, you will receive the kingdom of God, and you will know your Father. When you see your Father, all your connections to karma, hunger, disease, old age will leave you."
- My grandchildren, this is the way things really are. We must do everything with love in our hearts. God belongs to everyone. He has given a commonwealth to all His creations, and we must not take it for ourselves. We must not take more than our share. Our hearts must melt with love, we must share everything with others, and we must give lovingly to make others peaceful. Then we will win our true beauty and the liberation of our soul. Please think about this. Prayer, the qualities of God, the actions of God, faith in God, and worship of God are your grace. If you have these, God will be yours and the wealth of the world to come will be yours. My grandchildren, realize this in your lifetime. Consider your life, search for wisdom, search for knowledge, and search for that love of God which is divine knowledge, and search for His qualities, His love, and His actions. That will be good. Amin. Ya Rabbal-'alamin. So be it. O Ruler of the universes. May God grant you this."
- "God has a home inside of our heart. We must find a home inside of God's home inside of our heart" - Shared by Bawa Mahaiyaddeen in conversation with advocate for the homeless at the Muhaiyaddeen community in Philadelphia - 1986.
Literature and books by his students
- Owner's Manual for the Human Being by Mitch Gilbert, One Light Press publisher, 2005, ISBN 0-9771267-0-6
- The Illuminated Prayer: The Five-Times Prayer of the Sufis by Coleman Barks and Michael Green, Ballantine Wellspring publisher, 2000, ISBN 0-345-43545-1. According to the publisher, the book "offers a compelling introduction to the wisdom and teachings of the beloved contemporary Sufi master Bawa Muhaiyaddeen, who brought new life to this mystical tradition by opening a passage to its deepest, universal realities. It is the loving handiwork of two of Bawa's best-known students, Coleman Barks and Michael Green, who also created The Illuminated Rumi."
- One Song: A New Illuminated Rumi by Michael Green, Running Press publisher, 2005, ISBN 0-7624-2087-1
- My Years with the Qutb: A Walk in Paradise by Professor Sharon Marcus, Sufi Press publisher, 2007, ISBN 0-9737534-0-4
- THE MIRROR Photographs and Reflections on Life with M.R. Bawa Muhaiyaddeen (Ral.) by Chloë Le Pichon and Dwaraka Ganesan and Saburah Posner and Sulaiha Schwartz, published privately by Chloë Le Pichon, 2010, ISBN 0-615-33211-0. A 237 page large-format photographic compilation with commentary by 78 contributors.
- Malik and Hinnells, p. 90.
- Divine Luminous Wisdom, p. 254.
- Malik and Hinnells, p. 93.
- Malik and Hinnells, p. 91.
- Malik and Hinnells, p. 92.
- Malik and Hinnells, p 92.
- The Tree That Fell to the West, p. 171.
- To Die Before Death, p. xix.
- Haddad and Smith, p 103.
- The Truth and Unity of Man: Letters in Response to a Crisis
- Article Is the Ayatullah a Heretic? in the April 28, 1980 issue of Time Magazine
- Article The Mind is in the Heart by Sam Keen in April, 1976 issue.
- Harvard Divinity Bulletin. Harvard University Divinity School. December 1982 – January 1983, Volume XIII, Number 2
- Haddad and Smith, p 104.
- Bawa Muhaiyaddeen Fellowship web-site.
- God, His Prophets and His Children, pgs. 150–157
- Bawa Muhaiyaddeen Fellowship web-site Farm page
- Acknowledgments page, Wisdom of Man
- Wisdom of Man, pg. 8
- Wisdom of Man, pg. 28
- Four Steps to Pure Iman, front cover.
- Smithsonian Folkways recording FW08905.
- Islam and World Peace, pg.173.
- "Blue-Eyed Devil", pg. 86-88.
- The Tree That Fell to the West, p. 165.
- Truth and Light, p. 10.
- The Point Where God and Man Meet, p. xi.
- Resonance of Allah, p. 716.
- Sheikh and Disciple, p. 63.
- Islam and World Peace, p. 3.
- Questions of Life Answers of Wisdom, Vol.1, p. 220.
- Come to the Secret Garden, p. 188.
- My Love you My Children; p. 466.
- Rumi: the Book of Love, p. 140.
- Nov. 12, 2007 interview by Chitra Kalyani, IslamOnline.Net article
- Bawa Muhaiyaddeen, M. R. (1972). The Divine Luminous Wisdom That Dispels the Darkness. Philadelphia: The Fellowship Press. ISBN 0-914390-11-2.
- Bawa Muhaiyaddeen, M. R. (1974). Truth and Light: Brief Explanations. Philadelphia: The Fellowship Press. ISBN 0-914390-04-X. Radio Interviews by Lex Hixon – WBAI, New York, and Will Noffke – KQED, San Francisco
- Bawa Muhaiyaddeen, M. R. (1976). God, His Prophets and His Children. Philadelphia: The Fellowship Press. ISBN 0-914390-09-0.
- Bawa Muhaiyaddeen, M. R. (1976). My Love You, My Children: Stories for Children of All Ages. Philadelphia: The Fellowship Press. ISBN 0-914390-20-1.
- Bawa Muhaiyaddeen, M. R. (1980). The Truth and Unity of Man: Letters in Response to a Crisis. Philadelphia: The Fellowship Press. ISBN 0-914390-15-5.
- Bawa Muhaiyaddeen, M. R. (1980). The Wisdom of Man: Selected Discourses. Philadelphia: The Fellowship Press. ISBN 0-914390-45-7.
- Bawa Muhaiyaddeen, M. R. (1983). Sheikh and Disciple. Philadelphia: The Fellowship Press. ISBN 0-914390-26-0.
- Bawa Muhaiyaddeen, M. R. (1985). Come to the Secret Garden. Philadelphia: The Fellowship Press. ISBN 0-914390-46-5.
- Bawa Muhaiyaddeen, M. R. (1997). To Die Before Death: The Sufi Way of Life. Philadelphia: The Fellowship Press. ISBN 0-914390-39-2.
- Bawa Muhaiyaddeen, M. R. (2001). Questions of Life, Answers of Wisdom, Vol. 1. Philadelphia: The Fellowship Press. ISBN 0-914390-32-5.
- Bawa Muhaiyaddeen, M. R. (2001). The Resonance of Allah: Resplendent Explanations Arising from the Nur, Allah's Wisdom of Grace. Philadelphia: The Fellowship Press. ISBN 0-914390-61-9.
- Bawa Muhaiyaddeen, M. R. (2003). The Tree that Fell to the West: Autobiography of a Sufi. Philadelphia: The Fellowship Press. ISBN 0-914390-67-8.
- Bawa Muhaiyaddeen, M. R. (2004). Islam and World Peace: Explanations of a Sufi. Philadelphia: The Fellowship Press. ISBN 0-914390-65-1.*Bawa Muhaiyaddeen, M. R. (2006). The Point Where God and Man Meet. Philadelphia: The Fellowship Press. ISBN 0-914390-79-1.
- Y. Y. Haddad and J. I. Smith, editors (1994). Muslim Communities in North America. Albany: SUNY. ISBN 0-7914-2019-1. Chapter 4: Tradition and Innovation in Contemporary American Islamic Spirituality: The Bawa Muhaiyaddeen Fellowship by Dr. Gisela Webb, Professor of Religious Studies at Seton Hall University
- J. Malik and J. Hinnells, editors (2003). Sufism in the West. New York: Routledge. ISBN 0-415-27407-9. Chapter 4: Third Wave Sufism in America and the Bawa Muhaiyaddeen Fellowship by Dr. Gisela Webb, Professor of Religious Studies at Seton Hall University
- Snyder, Benjamin H. (2003). HEARTSPACE: The Bawa Muhaiyaddeen Fellowship and the Culture of Unity. Philadelphia: Haverford College thesis.
- Barks, Coleman (2005). Rumi: The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing. New York: HarperCollins. ISBN 0-06-075050-2.
- Bawa Muhaiyaddeen Wikiquote page
- Bawa Muhaiyaddeen Fellowship Web Site
- Bawa Muhaiyaddeen Fellowship Farm Web Site
- Bawa Muhaiyaddeen Serendib Sufi Study Circle Web Site
- HEARTSPACE: The Bawa Muhaiyaddeen Fellowship and the Culture of Unity Haverford College Thesis by Benjamin Snyder
- Tradition and Innovation in Contemporary American Islamic Spirituality: The Bawa Muhaiyaddeen Fellowship – Chapter 4 of Muslim Communities in North America
- Third Wave Sufism in America and the Bawa Muhaiyaddeen Fellowship – Chapter 4 of Sufism in the West
- A Sufi View of Spiritual Rebirth: Bawa Muhaiyaddeen Essay by Joseph F. Morales with extensive quotes from To Die Before Death: The Sufi Way of Life
- The Bawa Muhaiyaddeen Library of Quotations with essays and commentaries by Shaikh Muhaiyaddeen (Louie Beutler)
- Coleman Bark's dream of Bawa Muhaiyaddeen
- Into the Secret of the Heart by Guru Bawa Muhaiyaddeen record details at Smithsonian Folkways
- M. R. Bawa Muhaiyaddeen Books Online at Books.Google.Com
- "The Pearl of Wisdom (Guru Mani)", Serendib Sufi Study Circle book of discourses from the 1940's translated into English and published January, 2000.
- Video Song and Discourse "Practicing the Constant Remembrance of God", Lex Hixon Interview, Morning of July 19, 1980, Philadelphia, 57 min.
- Video Discourse "Bawa Muhaiyaddeen's Own Search for Truth", Lex Hixon Interview, Afternoon of July 19, 1980, Philadelphia, 57 min.
- Video Discourse "We Need The Qualities of God", May 6, 1975, Philadelphia, 26 min.
- Video Discourse "The Learning of an Ant Man" May 18, 1975, St. Peter's Church, New York City, 83 min.
- Interview with Bawa Muhaiyaddeen in Philadelphia on Kindred Spirits public radio show by David Freudberg
|Sufism and Tariqa|